Tarnow’s Jewish cemetery, called ‘kirchol’ by the locals, is one of the biggest and most interesting Jewish graveyards in Southern Poland. It is also one of the old−est, with great history and beautifully carved headstones.
It covers over 3.20 ha (32,000 m2) surrounded by a brick wall and a metal fence from Sloneczna Street on the south. Tarnow’s Jewish Cemetery was probably founded in the second half of the16th century or even earlier.
The oldest part of the cemetery is the area on the left side from the entrance
along Szpitalna Street. Later the cemetery area was enlarged several times, the last in 1924. There are several thousand headstones in Tarnow’s kirkut and all of them are situated in an east−west line.
The cemetery was devastated by the Germans during World War II and later by local hooligans for several years. In 1988 a Committee For The Protection Of Monuments Of Jewish Culture and its monuments was established in Tarnow. One of its major tasks is looking after the cemetery.
The full history of the cementery you will find in a link below.